MARSHALL FREDERICKS ONLINE EXHIBITIONS
The Giants of Norway Arrive!
Three of the largest sculptures created by Marshall Fredericks were cast in Norway. The Spirit of Detroit, The Cleveland War Memorial and Christ on the Cross were all cast in Oslo. The three giant sculptures were shipped by boat to the USA once completed.
These three large sculptures were cast by the Norwegian foundry Kristiania Kunst & Metalstoberi in Oslo. Fredericks would ship his finished plaster models to the foundry from his studio, and frequently travel to Norway to oversee the projects progress. These large works each took about a year to complete.
Christ on the Cross left Norway on June 20, 1956 bound for Detroit. The 30-foot sculpture arrived on July 18 aboard the Norwegian freighter Lyngenfjord. It arrived a the Port of Detroit and was loaded onto a truck to make its long journey to Indian River, Michigan.
The sculpture cost $11,000 to cast and an additional $2,000 to ship to Detroit. The sculpture was dedicated on August 16, 1959.
The Spirit of Detroit arrived in the Port of Detroit on September 20, 1958 at 6:55 AM. The Thomas Schulte German motor ship carried the sculpture to Detroit from Norway along with other cargo. The sculpture was buried in the bottom of the ship. Sitting on top were cans of sardines, herring, olive oil, and Mercedes Benz automobiles destined for the USA. At about 10:30 AM the sculpture was finally visible and hooked to a giant crane. At 11:20 AM the sculpture was hoisted and five minutes later placed on Detroit soil. Marshall Fredericks was on site taking photographs of the momentous occasion.
A witness to the giant sculpture being unloaded from the ship said "it looks like the world's biggest, lumpiest burlap bag".
The Cleveland War Memorial was also cast in Norway. The 35 foot tall central figure arrived on May 8, 1964 from Norway at the Lederer Terminal on 9th Street in Cleveland, Ohio aboard the freighter Lyngenfjord. The same freighter carried the Christ on the Cross in 1956.
The sculpture was cast at a cost of $21,000 plus $2,500 shipping, and the giant crate alone cost and additional $3,000. The sculpture was installed and dedicated on May 30, 1964.